Jenson Button has clinched pole position for tomorrow’s Spanish Grand Prix, but it was closer than he would have liked and the chasing Red Bull of Sebastian Vettel looks to be on good form in P2. Rubens Barrichello had the upper hand on his team mate prior to the final qualifying run and is perhaps overdue for a victory in the race winning Brawn BGP 001. Felipe Massa will want to capitalise on his Saturday performance to finally get some points in the championship and Fernando Alonso will have the Spanish fans behind him all the way.
The fuel loads haven’t been published as I type this and they will likely tell a slightly different story, but so far it looks as though Brawn are maintaining their dominance over the rest of the field. Red Bull still look good though, especially as Mark Webber is in a stronger position in this race and Sebastian Vettel is on the front row. If the German is lighter, he may be able to squeeze himself by into the first corner. Also worthy of a mention is that Felipe Massa in fourth is the leading KERS-equipped car; will he be able to get ahead as the lights go out tomorrow?
Have your say, who’s your favourite to win the 2009 Spanish Grand Prix?[poll id=”44″]
- The qualifying results can be viewed here: Spain 2009: Qualifying Result.
- The live qualifying notes can be viewed here: Spain 2009: Live Qualifying Notes.
- The grid (inclusive of penalties) can be viewed here: Spain 2009: The Grid.
- The post-qualifying car weights can be viewed here: Spain 2009: Post-Qualifying Car Weights.
- The qualifying report can be viewed here: Spain 2009: Jenson Button Claims Pole On Final Last Gasp Attempt.
[…] The Toyotas look a little of-colour but one cannot completely rule them out of a podium finish, although the prediction poll has Jenson Button as the clear favourite for victory this […]